Tuesday, March 19, 2013

#slice2013 19 of 31


Dear College Administrator,

I hope that you'll be happy to know that my grades are back on the upward climb since I just quit my job after school. I looked at your school's requirements and realized that a higher GPA was definitely more promising for my admission to your school than saying on my transcript that I work three days a week.

Unfortunately, my SAT scores will not be as good as they could have been, but this is not my fault. I blame it all on my mother. The only SAT class that I could've taken to prepare my for the test was on a Thursday night, the night of my ballet class. I wanted to drop my dance class and take the SAT prep, but unfortunately my mother was completely against this decision. So, I regretfully inform you, I will not be getting into this college because my mom convinced me that I value my extracurricular activities more than I value a number I receive on a standardized test.

However, do not worry. If I do not get into your school, my younger sister, Julia, definitely will. She has decided to not take an art class next year--her sophomore year--but instead she is going to take both AP Macro Physics and AP Chemistry to further boost her GPA. Two AP classes as a sophomore may seem like a little much to some people, but Julia can definitely handle it. She has already decided that she can increase her free time to spend on homework next year if she cuts back on her four-day-a-week soccer schedule.

I honestly hope that you welcome her with open arms. She is an amazing student and I have not met a harder worker in my life. It is my goal for the rest of this year to cut back on the extra things that I do outside of school that I cannot put on my transcript, such as writing and painting and drawing, and instead devote that extra time to studying for my classes and the SATs. Thanks to the many informational meetings I have taken time out of my life to attend, I now realize that if I want to get in to a good school, my grades should always come first. I promise I will stop practicing the piano and working on my latest painting so I can spend more time on the SAT practice book I just bought for myself.

Love,
Larkin



3 comments:

  1. Grades are important, but they aren't everything. (sorry Melanie) You are wise to consider what you must do to get into the college of your choice this year. Too bad bakery had to go. :-( but I guess it's better for the waistline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tongue in cheek humor, well done. As a teacher and a mom, I have town to detest all standardized tests. The SAT is huge, unfortunately. The only good new is that it's the last standardized test you'll need to take for at least the next four years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this. Great humor. I love that it was written in the first person. You are an artist at heart and no one should take that away from you.

    ReplyDelete